Wednesday, August 1, 2012

NEW JOURNEY

This is the beginning of a new journey for me.  In 2010, I sustained a tibial plateau fracture and completely blew my knee out plying rugby.  I lost my ACL, MCL, PCL and Meniscus.  Two reconstructive surgeries later (including new ligaments from a thoughtful donor), I found myself training for the 2011 Traverse City Triathlon. This was a hard race for me, but I was able to push through the pain of a healing knee and osteoarthritis to finish.

Training for the 2012 Traverse City Triathlon began in June, but my knee is not improving.  I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do this event...it all depends on my level of discomfort.  But even if I decide to go for it, this will likely be my last triathlon.  Either way, I have no regrets because it reacquainted me with my first passion...swimming.

This is where my new journey begins.  I've started training for long distance Open Water Swim marathons which will be held throughout the Great Lakes region.  My goal is to compete in events in each of the five Great Lakes.  I'll start with shorter distances and then progress toward 10k races as I achieve my goals.  iSWIMgreatlakes will be a record of my journey.  I don't expect anyone to follow this, but if they do...comments and encouragement are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment